Based on information received from the PTA survey sent out at the end of last year, our membership requested that the PTA provide cultural programming and wanted to understand the needs and challenges of Harrison’s refugee population. At the first PTA meeting on August 29, we invited Alana Schriver, Refugee Specialist with OPS to educate our membership on how we can better serve these families.
We learned some amazing things and you can too! Alana was kind enough to share her presentation and a volunteer guide. We encourage you to take a peek.
Additionally, we invited Beth Behrens, ESL Teacher and Laura Bowden, ESL Para to share with us ways we can assist Harrison’s refugee families. Already in place is a clothing closet that provides any child in need with clothing and shoes. In December, Dad’s Night Out is an opportunity for fathers to purchase gifts for students who might not otherwise receive them. And lastly, several families have already formed partnerships with refugee families and built lasting friendships. To further initiative, we are forming a committee of dedicated volunteers to continue these efforts and strengthen our relationship with Harrison’s refugee population.
Here are a few ways to help:
- Volunteer to work on this initiative by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Attend Dad’s Night Out on Wednesday, December 21, 2016
- Donate new or gently used clothing & shoes to the Harrison clothing closet
- Girl’s and boy’s youth shoes in sizes 11, 12, 13, 1, 3
- Men’s and women’s adult shoes in sizes 6, 7, 9, 10
- Boy’s elastic waist shorts and pants in sizes 5, 6, 7